May Chang essential oil is fast becoming a ‘go to’ when sourcing the perfect oil for relaxation and wellbeing. A key staple in your essential oil collection, May Chang is known as the ‘happy oil’ and one which promotes tranquillity and inner calm. Here, we explore the many other benefits of May Chang essential oil, which you may not be aware of, and find out what blends well with this ancient oil that is being used more widely in the modern world.
What is May Chang?
May Chang is a berry-like fruit harvested from the wild litsea cubbea plant. Originating from China, but growing widely across Southeast Asia, May Chang essential oil is sourced from the tree’s fruit with the oil extracted using steam distillation. Similar in size and shape to a peppercorn, May Chang is often referred to as ‘Pepper Mountain’ or ‘Chinese Pepper’. Its lemon aroma with fruity undertones, similar to lemongrass, makes it a refreshing choice.
Used in traditional Chinese medicine, May Chang is recommended to lift moods, create emotional balance, and boost energy. For all of these reasons and more, it is fast becoming a popular choice in modern aromatherapy.
May Chang Essential Oil Benefits
May Chang oil has a lot more to offer besides being used to help reduce stress and anxiety. In alternative therapy, aromatherapists use it to help support those with various common health issues.
May Chang Essential Oil is claimed to help:
- Relieve tired muscles, aches and pains
- Treat skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis, cellulitis and skin allergies
- Help treat infections and fungal issues such as athletes’ foot or gout
- Prevent hypertension and improve your blood pressure
- Support those with lung conditions
- Reduce congestion and colds
- Prevent excess perspiration
- Combat digestive problems such as nausea and indigestion
- Improve inflammation symptoms, particularly those with arthritis
It doesn’t stop there; May Chang essential oil is as equally as good for your home as it is for your health. Its antiseptic properties are used in homemade disinfectants and insect repellents, helping to discourage pesky annoyances like mosquitos. For lemon lovers, a few drops in your diffuser at home will put you in citrus heaven thanks to May Chang’s delightful citrus scent that’s great for homemade candles, wax melts and beauty products.
What blends well with May Chang Essential Oil?
- May Chang works well with many other essential oils, particularly floral and woody tones. Try combining May Chang with geranium and frankincense for a mindful mood booster.
- Tea tree is another great accompaniment, combined with May Chang to create a super fresh cleaning superpower.
- The lavish lemon aroma of May Chang means it also works well with any of its citrus family, resulting in a refreshing uplift. Pair it with sweet orange, zesty lime or punchy grapefruit for a formidable partnership.
- Or, try May Chang with herbal scents such as lavender, ylang-ylang or rosemary for more profound relaxation.
So there you have it; there’s so much to love about May Chang essential oil. Offering both traditional and modern uses with many benefits to body and mind, its ability to blend well with so many essential oils makes it probably one of the most versatile essential oils on the market.
Enjoy it for yourself at Freshskin Beauty, and let us know what you think.
Check out our Essential Oils Blending Guide for more inspiration on the oils which work best together.